I may have posted this before, however it just got more interesting. You may find it hard to believe the history still cruising the Great Lakes. Pictured below is the barge, Joseph H Thompson. I captured this image a couple of weeks ago when I was exploring Mackinaw City. Now as I am looking into the ship’s history I am fairly amazed. This barge was originally constructed in 1944 as a freighter, then immediately pressed into wartime service. It was present during the invasion of Normandy on D-day. After the war the ship was used on the east coast, and then eventually became the largest ship in the world; when it was put into service on the Great Lakes to haul iron in the 1950’s. To read more on this ship, visit its page on Boat Nerd at this link.
- Announcing Petoskey Print Studio 08/23/2017
- Roadside Wildlife (Sandhill Cranes) 06/14/2017
- Winter Newsletter 01/02/2017
- Who says that work cannot be fun? 10/14/2016
- Our Gallery will be closed, for a learning opportunity… 10/06/2016
Random photography definitions:
Quantum : smallest indivisible unit of radiant energy.